www.flickr.com
parkylondon's photos More of parkylondon's photos

Saturday, December 15, 2007

This Week in London 25 - The Houses of Parliament

Greetings and Happy Christmas to you all!

Today's show covers the Houses of Parliament - the House of Commons and the House of Lords. I talk about some of the quirks of the place, how to get into it and what it all means. I touch on PMQ's and include some sound bites from that venerable institution. I particularly liked the Stalin / Gordon Brown / Mr. Bean comparison!

You can listen to the show here:


I clarify the end date of the competition I kicked off last show - you need to tell me what those five companies have in common by the time I do a show in the first week of the New Year. There's fifty dollars up for grabs here so hopefully I've made it tricky but meaningful.

The companies are: Bentley Motors; Calders and Grandidge, Colmans of Norwich, Kimberly-Clark and Weetabix.

Over to you.

Music today was by Candy Butchers who you can find here. Don't worry, Mike Viola WAS half of Candy Butchers. His new stuff is good and you can still buy the Candy Butchers stuff.

I think that all - I'll edit and add anything else!

Edit 1: I have updated and corrected a post for TWiL #21 Nelsons Column which for some reason had gone AWOL. Try this link and let me know if it works eh?

3 comments:

  1. Good to have you back in the land of the unsick. Healthy for the Holidays is my motto. Loved the info on Parliament, but as an American, I still can't grasp it. I know it should be easy to understand, but like the metric system, they only taught us enough to know that it exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great show again Paul. I work a few hundred yards from where Parliament was first held in Kenilworth. And for the chap here commenting he doesn't understand our government - most don't, but many democratic systems are modelled on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, Paul!

    I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your podcast this year. Keep it up!

    Lena
    Vladivostok, Russia

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.